Foodatista

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Exploring the Silver Spoon

Have you heard of The Silver Spoon cookbook? It's an English translation of the book to which Italian cooks refer when they haven't got a family recipe from Mamma. It's often compared to our Joy of Cooking in its completeness (2000 recipes!) and status as a classic (first published in 1950).

As is often the case with cookbooks translated from one language to another, there are apparently some failures to communicate (see editorial reviews on Amazon).

And this is why you will love the new blog Exploring the Silver Spoon. Sara, who I met at a Commonwealth Club food event this past week, is working her way through this cookbook and giving the rest of us excellent explanations and photos of her findings. Plus, she assigns grades to each recipe for taste and ease of preparation.

Being a risotto fan, I'm going to try the carrot risotto which she has awarded an A- in tastiness.

Grazie mille, Sara!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Hi Heidi,
Thanks for the write-up! Do let me know how the carrot risotto works for you :)
-sara

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,
Thanks for the tip on Exploring the Silver Spoon. Not having been born with one in my mouth, discovering new flavors happens primarily in my kitchen. But, your blog and this book makes me feel like Lady Astor.

Thanks for keeping me informed and TRYING new things!
Wendy

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,

I couldn't agree with you more! I love Sara's blog and visit it daily!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home